The goal is simple: having an additional icon on your screen, with your logo and the name of your application, that fires up a browser to your site. So you can keep the Safari for browsing and that icon to access that web-based app you really like (for me, it is one-click access to all my contacts over-the-air, with search capabilities, since the native iPhone contact app has zero search and I have 700+ contacts...).
The assumption is that you have already done jailbreak and you have ssh access to your iPhone. If you did it already, I am not responsible for anything that happens on your iPhone (or the warranty). If you did not, well... good luck with the rest of this ;-)
- Create a folder called Funambol.app under /Applications
- Copy all the files under /Applications/MobileSafari.app to /Applications/Funambol.app (making sure you copy also the subdirectory English.lproj). You can use iphoneinterface, sftp or, better, do a "cp -r"
- Make sure /Applications/Funambol.app/MobileSafari can be executed (chmod 755 MobileSafari)
- Overwrite the existing icon.png with the Funambol icon.png in /Applications/Funambol.app (or make your 60x60 PNG file)
- Overwrite the existing Info.plist with the Funambol Info.plist in /Applications/Funambol.app (the trick is simply for the app to be called something differently than com.apple.mobilesafari)
- Reboot the iPhone
Change Funambol with your application and you have one-click access to your favorite web app. Nice.